Homemade Pull Up Attachments
These pull up attachments have greatly improved my grip strength for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitions. The tremendous grip that is required to maintain a hold on these attachments while performing standard pulls ups, generates tremendous growth and strength in your forearms. You can also find these products for sale at our sister site: Pull Up Lab.
- 2 – Solid Wooden Spheres – 2.5″+ in diameter (can be found online or at hobby shops
- 2 – “I” Hooks 3/8″ in diameter
- 2 – Carabiners with a minimum strength of 200+ lbs each
- Drill Bit 1/4″ diameter
- Bench Clamp
- Wood Glue
Steps for Making Pull Up Balls:
1. Acquire two solid wooden spheres 2.5″+ in diameter. The bigger the diameter the more difficult to workout
2. Clamp the wooden sphere in a bench clamp, and prepare drill with 1/4″ drill bit
3. Finding a place on the sphere which allows you to drill directly into the center of the sphere, slowly pressure into the drill until you’ve reached just passed the middle of the sphere. Remove the drill. (NOTE: This step should be handled with extreme care, proper adult supervision, and proper hand/eye safety gear.)
4. Place a small stream of wood glue into the hole created
5. Screw the 3/8″ eyebolt into the sphere.
6. Attach the carabiner into the eyebolt so that the carabiner can then be clipped over a pull up bar.
A video demonstration of these pull up balls can be found below: